Saturday 27 March 2010

The Joys of Being a Ridiculous Witch!

Yesterday, a friend of mine dropped by and glanced over at my witchy accoutrements and the look on her face said it all. She's never judgmental or sneering but she finds a lot of what I do absolutely ridiculous. And you know what, so do I! 

The difference between us is that I find it liberating and a great contribution to my life. 

Of course this does not mean that I do not take my beliefs seriously. I do. And I take all of the work involved seriously, respect what I see to be the divine wisdom and energies around us and am humbled by any gifts and powers that are sent my way. It is all an integral part of who I am. 

However, there is another side to it that I've always enjoyed. While to many 'normal' people, what we witches do is strange, inconsequential or fey, I would argue that it is a gloriously child-like cast off of inhibitions! Who needs to worry about what others think all the time? Children are blissfully unaware of what people think of their playing. They're totally engrossed and having the time of their lives. 

Is it wasted? No! Think of the energies they build up for starters. But most importantly, they are learning so much as they play. Their imaginations are working away, their creativity shows them new meanings and helps them make sense of the world around them. 

I see witchcraft in a very similar light. I reject the opinions and criticisms of others so that I can be free to enjoy what I do and follow a higher power than their cynicism. I approach my practices with a healthy sense of humour so that I avoid arrogance and to allow pure energies to come to me. The more creative I am, the more open my mind becomes and the more I seem to understand my path as a witch. 

In short, I'd rather be ridiculous than closed minded. Does anyone feel the same???


No comments:

Post a Comment