Sunday, 31 January 2010
Hope it inspires you!
Saturday, 30 January 2010
You will work out the answers to these questions just the same way you work out how to go about a new job or a hobby. It’s a mixture of trying spells, seeing what happens, looking up answers when it doesn’t go according to plan! So essentially, any spell is a suitable spell for a beginner if you persevere.
But I understand how difficult it is and so here is a beginner’s spell that I often recommend because a) it doesn’t require much in the way of ingredients b) it’s simple and easy to follow and c) it’s a love spell and everyone loves those!
Spell for Beginner
You will need:
Line the holders in front of you. Then take the first incense stick, light it and place it in the nearest holder, saying:
I whisper into the air, to open up the path of my future
Light the second stick saying:
I whisper into the air, to bring forth my one true love to me
Light the third:
I whisper into the air, to now open my heart to believe
And at the forth, say:
I whisper into the air and bid his/her name be whispered back.
And if you want more spells for beginners, please check out my links on the right hand side - they’re all free :)
Thursday, 28 January 2010
If you want to read more about the tradition rituals of Imbolc, I wrote an article last year so check it out :)
Imbolc - 2nd February
Ostara - 20th March
Beltane - 1st May
Litha (Midsummer) - 21st June
Lammas (Lughnasadh) - 1st August
Mabon - 22 September
Samhain (Halloween) - 31st October
Yule (Winter Solstice) - 21st December
Time to put your party hats on!
Thursday, 21 January 2010
It is for this reason that I am wary of love spells that promise to reunite lovers. The desire to cast this kind of spell potentially comes from their (understandable) weakness and a desire to sooth the pain. BUT, it is in danger of not being in the caster’s interests in the long run. Some relationships are meant to end and the longer you hang on to them, the more pain you will endure.
That said, relationships can sometimes go through rough patches due to outside factors causing stress or because smaller issues have grown out of control. The break up can give you both the shock and the motivation needed to work on rectifying the problems and bringing you close together again. And in these situations, a spell can help you with the necessary extra energy required!
This one is for when your partner is putting up initial resistance to trying to work it out together. It is NOT about trying to bend his or her will, which if you’ve read any of my other posts you’ll know I’m vehemently against. It is about opening up the energies and trying to mend the negativity around you both. One of you has to make the first move with this, it may as well be you.
I recommend burning sandalwood whilst performing this spell as it is perfect for releasing feelings of weariness so will pep you up while you work. You will need:
Something to represent each of you such photos, personal objects
Rose quartz healing wand or amethyst healing wand
(Healing wands can be quite an expensive tool and so I’m not suggesting you get one if you are not planning to use it regularly and keep it as an item for your altar. In place of the wand in this instance, use a row of tumblestones instead.)
The Love Spell
Place the 2 personal objects on your altar (or workspace) and then connect them using the healing wand. The rounded end should be next to the item representing you. Say:
Where you are, my heart is with you
I bid you, let it stay
The strength of my love is as if anew
Do not send it away
(Place each hand on the outside of your joined photos as if cupping them together.)
Let our feelings shine
Let hurt fade away
Let love not pine
But unite one day
This spell can be repeated as often as you like in order to continue to build healing energies around your relationship. Do not try to rush getting back together however, or ignore the work that needs doing.
Tuesday, 19 January 2010
You know that feeling when you can’t wait to see what happens in the end? The one you get when you’re getting near the conclusion of a gripping book or a film? This is what I like to try and replicate at the end of my momentum spells. Just like it’s hard to get started on a long task, it’s equally difficult to finish it and find the enthusiasm. Seeing as I will be building up the energies with my other ‘mini’ spells along the way I’m certain I won’t be feeling fatigue but I will want to get past the finish line knowing I didn’t slow down at the last moment!
For this spell I have chosen to work with:
Oak bark to burn as incense
The acorns from part 2
A wrapped gift for myself (I’ve bought myself some jewellery!)
Piece of red ribbon, red candles either side.
First I will lay out my altar. The oak bark will be in an incense burner and is representing the growth of my project, what has developed since the acorn stage. I will place it in the very centre. Between me and the oak, I will use the red ribbon as a finish line! The candles placed on either side of it will help to ‘fire me up’ and strive to cross it.
On the far side, beyond the oak I will place my wrapped gift to myself. There it will stay until I have finished! On my side of the ribbon, closest to me will be the acorns. Let the feelings and energies come to you, going over in your mind all that you have achieved so far and what still remains. Imagine the joy of the final product. Then light the oak saying:
The end is near
My curiosity is strong
Full of pride and cheer
My triumph won’t be long!
Continue with the last of your project when you feel the spell is working and you are raring to go :)
Sunday, 17 January 2010
Momentum spell part 3 is for about half way though. It is for the time when you feel you are waning a little, that you have maybe reached a block and seem to be avoiding getting on with what you’re supposed to!
At this point I use a very simple and short ‘mini’ spell. I put some basil into my cauldron (any inflammable bowl will do) and burn it. You may need to light it a few times but this is part of building up the relevant energies here. Basil is also wonderful for any fire energies that you need as it has a wonderful crackle and fizz to it so it will really help to get your enthusiasm back.
Always focus on your project and you can recite some words if you like. I’m always too distracted by way it burns so I don’t feel it is necessary!
Friday, 15 January 2010
Ok, part 2 of my momentum spell! It’s a very simple start and sets the scene for some of the work I will be doing in the following steps. Now, I am a big fan of small ‘bite sized’ spells for these types of situations. It means that you do not drain all of your energies in one go only to find it difficult to put in what you need later. And of course the whole point is to build momentum, not necessarily to take any great leaps forward.
So for this spell I will be using:
A written plan/note
My reasons for using acorns are two-fold. The first reason comes from the old saying ‘great oaks from little acorns grow’. It is such a lovely, sweet proverb and one that can be applied to so many situations in life. Something may not seem much to start with, but greatness can grow! This is just the kind of energies I want around me. Secondly, I am researching my family tree so I want to replicate the project as closely as possible.
Next I will be outlining my general plan. This doesn’t have to be anything more than a few notes on what you want to achieve and what order you think you should go in - something to get it clear in your mind. Jot them down on a piece of paper, to be buried along with your acorns. Loosely wrap the paper round them, you don’t need to use anything to secure it.
As I prepare all of this, I will be burning my dewberry incense. This has a feeling of the past for me as it is a smell I associate with my youth. I want to feel completely absorbed in the mood of the project and seeing this is about the past for me and my family I want to start off with some strong emotions. If a project is personal to you, you will always find a lot more power in bringing in personal accompaniments.
Next step is to take yourself to somewhere that is acceptable for you to bury your note and acorns. As you cover them with the earth say:
The first step is done The work has begun!
This step places what you need to do firmly in your mind and gets you thinking about what you need to do. Very much needed if you’re like me as I very often find that actually getting started is one of the hardest things to do! I will include step 2 tomorrow :)
Thursday, 14 January 2010
It’s not that I am not excited about it. But have you ever had an idea - a really good idea - and been really fired up only to find that this fizzles out when you actually get round to it? That’s hard work for you, it’ll dampen anyone’s spirit. What you need, my friend, is some stamina!
So, I’m working on a spell to help reverse the fizzle. Rather than it becoming arduous I want there to be even more drive as I go along. Not only will I get it done quicker but I will do a much better job of it.
I’m going to be doing most of the research at my computer, at least to start with, so I will be setting up a few aids around my work station comprising:
2 green candles which I will inscribe with ‘Success’
A string of beads that I am putting together. I have chosen green for endurance, yellow for intelligence, blue for both happiness and patience.
A representation of the sun I picked up a few years ago for life and vigour.
I shall be smudging the room and specifically the work area too so that I can be assured that no unwanted energies linger.
Before I continue with the rest I’m going to put together a makeshift plan on what needs doing but will update you on the next move in the next few days :)
Wednesday, 13 January 2010
So for this reason, some argue that it is possible to perform black magik spells for good reasons. The Good Witch can offer protection for the weak by trying to deal with someone causing harm to others. To match the strength and the power of the ‘bad person’ you have to match like with like.
I don’t agree but I understand what they are saying. That witchcraft isn’t a separate entity, it exists within the same universe as everyone and everything else, drawing from the same energies. It encompasses all. In a society, we use the justice system to deal with those who break the law and hurt others while often taking tough measures to do this. In other words, it is all for the greater good.
But as a society do we not attempt to maintain principles? Someone may be found guilty of assault but we do not assault them back as a form of punishment - we would consider this barbaric. And this is where my views lie on black magik. You should NEVER reduce yourself to the level of your enemy.
There are very few witches who would be strong enough to consider this, it should never even be contemplated by anyone who doesn’t know what they are up against. Being humble is an incredibly important part of developing yourself as a witch and you must never believe yourself to have total control or be infallible. You blend, channel and work with the energies and become more adept with practice. But always be careful with what you unleash.
If you perform a spell out of hatred or spite then these are the energies that you are channelling and they will become part of you. Better to look to the light and celebrate the strength of love and protection.
Love, light and bright blessings!
Monday, 11 January 2010
Thursday, 7 January 2010
The Good News
When asked whether they want the good new or the bad news first, people generally plump for the former so here goes.
- Witchcraft spells are the route to becoming a witch for many. They are not essential, many witches don’t go near them and do great work. But it is the idea of spell casting that lures many in and in performing spells and building your experience in this area, you can find yourself deserving the title of witch along the way :)
- Casting spells will help you to tune into the power that you have within and to understand your true potential. You will learn to appreciate what you excel at (for example, working with feelings, natural ingredients or healing) and you can carve out your own role.
- You can make significant changes to your life. You can bring in positive energies where before you were struggling to make headway. The key is to be honest about what you want, focus and to work at it over time.
The Bad News
- If I had a penny for every time I say this…..there is no one spell that will make you a witch. It’d be great if there was, I agree! But in order to perform spells, you need to work on your ability to do so. The work comes first, not the spell.
- The spell is not an external, separate being - it is YOU. You are creating the necessary energies, you are making it happen and you are providing the magic! Personally, I’d put this in the good news but for the beginner it can be disappointing. Don’t feel bad, we’ve all been there!
- It takes practice. Casting witchcraft spells is as much an art as it is anything else and you must be prepared to work hard and be willing to constantly improve. Many years ago, I started to learn how to play the flute. When I first started I was dreadful! I got better over time because I practised and was then able to play beautiful music. Take the same approach to your spell casting.
How to Get Those Witchcraft Spells Working!
- If it’s your first spell, keep it simple and repeat the spell a few times. Try not to choose something that you desperately want to work as this will inevitably lead to disappointment. (In fact this is true of ALL spells, whether you are experienced or not - high emotional states can interfere with the energies.)
- Be realistic in your expectations. The universe is a magical place and wonderful things can happen but none of it at the wave of a magic wand! Always try to achieve something positive - a good example is the ever popular love spell. Make your focus drawing love towards you or encouraging someone to see you for who you are. Getting someone to love you when they don’t is considered bending the will of others and is frowned upon. It is also less likely to be effective.
- Use tools and ingredients that you feel comfortable with and connect to. You can stock up on a brand new altar kit but if it all feels unfamiliar it’s not going to help you. My recommendation would be to start with candles (who doesn’t love the look and feel of lit candles in a dark room!) and keep something personal nearby such as a piece of jewellery or a photo of someone you love.
- Write or adapt your own witchcraft spells! All of the spells I include here can be tailored to meet your own needs, you don’t need to follow them to the letter. Experiment, substitute and play around. Write your own words in the style that you respond to the most and you will see a dramatic difference in how the spell feels as you cast.
- Give it time. I have rarely seen a spell leap into action the moment I’ve finished it. You are combining your energies with those of the universe - the divine wisdom. Everything flows together and it could be that there unknown reasons why you can’t have what you want immediately - your efforts will be rewarded when the time is right. Also, if you find that you make progress up to a point, there may be a block that you need to address. Go back to your spell, assess it and look at doing a follow up spell to remove the obstacle. Evolve and grow!
Blessings and hugs!
Wednesday, 6 January 2010
The basis of the spell is to unblock whatever is holding you back from achieving what you want to do. As snow melts, it converts back to water and is able to flow freely once more - I’m sure you can see the symbolism.
Pen and paper
Fetch yourself a nice bowlful of the freshest, most untouched snow you can lay your hands on and bring it inside immediately. Say:
Snow, as you melt
I too will reform
My ambition is heartfelt
I am free to perform!
As the snow is melting, take this time to write down all of the things that hold you back from achieving what you want to at the moment. Next to each one, draw an arrow to its right and then jot down what you want to be, have or accomplish. So basically you’ll have 2 columns, one of the blocks, one of the goals.
By the way, just because the words of the spell are ambition and perform, don’t assume this is all about career or business ventures. Far from it, this is simply about removing blocks from your life and turning inaction into action so that you can move closer to what you want. This could work for love, rebuilding friendships, gaining money - whatever you feel you need help with at the moment.
Bright (snow-covered) Blessings!
Monday, 4 January 2010
So if you haven’t yet done a spell or ritual for New Year or new beginnings I strongly suggest you try and fit one in :)