The Good News
When asked whether they want the good new or the bad news first, people generally plump for the former so here goes.
- Witchcraft spells are the route to becoming a witch for many. They are not essential, many witches don’t go near them and do great work. But it is the idea of spell casting that lures many in and in performing spells and building your experience in this area, you can find yourself deserving the title of witch along the way :)
- Casting spells will help you to tune into the power that you have within and to understand your true potential. You will learn to appreciate what you excel at (for example, working with feelings, natural ingredients or healing) and you can carve out your own role.
- You can make significant changes to your life. You can bring in positive energies where before you were struggling to make headway. The key is to be honest about what you want, focus and to work at it over time.
The Bad News
- If I had a penny for every time I say this…..there is no one spell that will make you a witch. It’d be great if there was, I agree! But in order to perform spells, you need to work on your ability to do so. The work comes first, not the spell.
- The spell is not an external, separate being - it is YOU. You are creating the necessary energies, you are making it happen and you are providing the magic! Personally, I’d put this in the good news but for the beginner it can be disappointing. Don’t feel bad, we’ve all been there!
- It takes practice. Casting witchcraft spells is as much an art as it is anything else and you must be prepared to work hard and be willing to constantly improve. Many years ago, I started to learn how to play the flute. When I first started I was dreadful! I got better over time because I practised and was then able to play beautiful music. Take the same approach to your spell casting.
How to Get Those Witchcraft Spells Working!
- If it’s your first spell, keep it simple and repeat the spell a few times. Try not to choose something that you desperately want to work as this will inevitably lead to disappointment. (In fact this is true of ALL spells, whether you are experienced or not - high emotional states can interfere with the energies.)
- Be realistic in your expectations. The universe is a magical place and wonderful things can happen but none of it at the wave of a magic wand! Always try to achieve something positive - a good example is the ever popular love spell. Make your focus drawing love towards you or encouraging someone to see you for who you are. Getting someone to love you when they don’t is considered bending the will of others and is frowned upon. It is also less likely to be effective.
- Use tools and ingredients that you feel comfortable with and connect to. You can stock up on a brand new altar kit but if it all feels unfamiliar it’s not going to help you. My recommendation would be to start with candles (who doesn’t love the look and feel of lit candles in a dark room!) and keep something personal nearby such as a piece of jewellery or a photo of someone you love.
- Write or adapt your own witchcraft spells! All of the spells I include here can be tailored to meet your own needs, you don’t need to follow them to the letter. Experiment, substitute and play around. Write your own words in the style that you respond to the most and you will see a dramatic difference in how the spell feels as you cast.
- Give it time. I have rarely seen a spell leap into action the moment I’ve finished it. You are combining your energies with those of the universe - the divine wisdom. Everything flows together and it could be that there unknown reasons why you can’t have what you want immediately - your efforts will be rewarded when the time is right. Also, if you find that you make progress up to a point, there may be a block that you need to address. Go back to your spell, assess it and look at doing a follow up spell to remove the obstacle. Evolve and grow!
Blessings and hugs!