Sunday 16 May 2010

Witchcraft should be immune from consumerism

It's not that often that I have a moan (honest). But something has been getting to me more and more recently and I'm worried that it's only going to continue to grow as a problem. I am increasingly unhappy about what I see as the impact of consumerism on our spiritual beliefs and interests. Not necessarily because of what is sold to us as spirituality, but more in the way that the quick fix and the demanding nature of consumerism is twisting the nature of our expectations of others and replacing manners and kindness. 

This has affected me in two areas of my life - firstly because people around me know of my beliefs in witchcraft, and secondly because I also do tarot readings. Over the last 7 or 8 years I have watched the way that people talk to me change and go from curiosity and (for the most part) respect to something altogether more demanding and impatient. I am being treated as if I work in the service industry. 

This has meant that people feel they can dictate what is 'on offer' and, particularly with my tarot readings, pretty rude when I am unable deliver. Answers are far too often expected immediately without allowing for any energies to build, personal facts about other people expected without a care for their privacy and guarantees of the long term future are demanded of me. With the best will in the world, I cannot change the nature of fate, as most of us have understood it for hundreds of years, and I cannot change the fact they they are responsible for taking control of their own lives!

With witchcraft, I find I am under the same pressure and scrutiny. If I can't turn someone into a frog them I'm not a real witch. No amount of trying to calmly tell them what the true nature of witchcraft is - it's the affect of the 'customer is always right' mentality and people expect to be humoured. To add insult to injury, I don't even charge :) 

I would like to say at this point that I take pride in my work and in what I have achieved in my spiritual development. I strive to do my best, to always act honestly and to help whenever I am able. I give 100%. So it is disheartening and upsetting to have people treat you in such a casually derogatory manner. 

All the friends that I have with the same or similar beliefs have never failed to impress me with their kindness and lack of judgment of others. I also meet lovely, polite and genuinely interested people who are not spiritual in any way but still value the dignity of others regardless. In reality, I know that I'm moaning about a minority. But I really feel this attitude is on the increase and it is threatening to suppress one of the most beautiful things we all possess - our faiths. Proof, if ever it was needed, that there are some things money can't buy. 

If anyone else has encountered something similar, I'd really like to hear from you. 

Love, light and blessings to you! 

Fran xx


No comments:

Post a Comment