Tuesday 15 December 2009

Some Names of Famous Witches

Further to my ramblings on the Pendle Hill Witch Trials last week, I have since been dragged into an endless game of trying to remember the names of famous witches! It all came from the fact that despite witches having had a terrible press throughout history, most people would be hard pressed to name any really famous ones. So, without further ado, I will now waste 2 minutes of your time:

Names of famous witches - real
Granny Boswell - Cornish Witch
Tammy Blee - Cornish Witch
Pendle Hill Witches - 12 were accused - most famous are those from the 2 families of Demdike and Chattox
Elisabeth Sawyer - The Witch of Edmonton, hanged in 1621
Joan Wytte - Cornish witch known as the Fighting Fairy Woman of Bodmin
Dolly Pentreath - Cornish witch who cursed people in the old language of Cornish! (Which was her native tongue, incidentally)


Names of famous witches - fictional
Wicked witch of the East - Wizard of Oz
Hermione Granger - Harry Potter
Sabrina - Teenage Witch
The Three Witches - Macbeth
Samantha - Bewitched (although Endora deserves a mention too!)
Meg - Meg and Mog
Jealous Queen - Snow White and the Seven Dwarves
Halliwell sisters - Charmed

As you can see, the real ones are somewhat less well known than the fictional ones! I’m sure I speak for most of us when I say I identify most with Meg.

No comments:

Post a Comment